Monday 31 October 2011

If you read just one book this year make sure it's "Tortillas to Totems" by Sam Manicom

Having spent the last few years reading many, many motorbike based travel books I have just got to tell you about Sam Manicom's latest and in my opinion, greatest book to date "Tortillas to Totems".

I was lucky enough to meet and speak to Sam at the NEC Show back in 2009 and to say the guy made a massive impression on me is the understatement of the year. I know my limitations; a description I often use about myself is "Does not mix well with others!" However, spotting this energy filled character talking about his three books at the side of an adventure bike kit stand made me stop and listen.

Eventually I caught Sam's eye and he told me a little about his adventures, I waffled on about my Iron Butt Association (IBA) rides, proud of the fact I could ride 1000 miles and 1500 miles in 24 hours. All be it not in the same 24 hours that is! (How stupid do I  feel now knowing what Sam has achieved over the 8 years and 200,000 miles on Libby. I take my hat off to you Sam and to Birgit who is an absolute star in my eyes). After what felt like a matter of minutes I had bought all three books and Sam was kind enough to sign each one in turn for me. There was no pressure to buy the books but I just knew there and then I had to know more about this extraordinary, ordinary man and his travels. After a good walk around the show I headed home.

That evening in bed I read the introduction to "Into Africa", placed all three books in my bedside table and that's where they stayed for a whole year. In October 2010 I took "Into Africa" and "Under Asian Skies" on holiday with me and read them both cover to cover. I was hooked! to the extent that as soon I I got home I started reading "Distant Suns" but life got in the way and just a few pages in I stopped. Only to do the same thing again but only 4 months passed before holiday reading mode saw "Distant Suns" being read from cover to cover along with another two books.

In September I was having a good look at Sam's website and I spotted his latest book "Tortillas to Totems" and wondered if Sam would sign me a copy, placing an order anyway I chose to drop Sam an email to ask just that very question and this is what happened.





From: Sam Manicom

Sent: 03 October 2011 09:15
To: Ray

Subject: Re: Notification of Payment Received



Hi Ray, many thanks for the order. Your copy of T2T will be in the post to you today. Signed of course. Many thanks for buying the full set!

I hope all's good with you.

All the best,

Sam



Book News! Sam's books are all now available in e-book format.

Check out Kindles on Amazon.com and .co.uk


For useless information about Sam,

and some very helpful information on his Adventure Motorcycle Travel Books.

Excerpts, Readers' Feedback, Reviews, Photos and much more on all of his books

'Into Africa', 'Under Asian Skies', 'Distant Suns' and now...

The latest book - 'Tortillas to Totems'





Please do link up with Sam on Facebook - lots going on on his pages.





From: Ray F Walton

To: 'Sam Manicom'

Sent: Tuesday, 4 October 2011, 21:04
Subject: RE: Notification of Payment Received



Good evening Sam,



Just a quick line to say thank you for the signature. T2T arrived and is in its right of place on my read list in the office. You will be pleased to know it’s been placed next in line , sorry Ted, Dreaming of Jupiter, has just been set back a book. LOL

Hope you’re going to be at the NEC in November, I’d like to say hello again. Hopefully having read T2T.



Well all the very best and ride safe.



See you around some time I hope. Europe next year don’t forget!



Kind regards



Ray



From: Sam Manicom

Sent: 05 October 2011 08:40
To: Ray F Walton
Subject: Re: Notification of Payment Received



Hi Ray, many thanks for letting me know your T2T has arrived safely. I do hope you enjoy it. NEC? Too right. Do drop by. I'll be on TraveldriPlus. If you have any book reading/buying friends, drag them with you would you

See you soon then.

All the best,

Sam



From: Ray F Walton

To: 'Sam Manicom'

Sent: Sunday, 30 October 2011, 21:14
Subject: RE: Notification of Payment Received

Hi Sam,

Just a quick line to say.......................

My God! T2T! Is bloody fantastic my dear sir. You really have surpassed yourself with your latest addition. I have not been able to put the damned book down and have loved every single word in it. Everything about T2T is just right in every way. I love the way you bring the whole experience to life, I almost felt as if I was there with you both.

My heartfelt thanks’ to you for sharing everything so openly with everyone who take the time to read T2T. In the past I have taken my time reading your work but this book just had me hooked and I just had to finish it the minute I had started reading.

Well done to you and I look forward to your next instalment.............................. Europe the great well known................... LOL



All the very best & I will track you down at the NEC next month just to say thank you in person.

Kindest regards & lots of respect

Ray F Walton


From: Sam Manicom
Sent: 31 October 2011 08:06
To: Ray F Walton
Subject: Tortillas to Totems



Top of the morning Ray, well at least, top of the day : )



I'm sitting here with a huge grin! What a great way to start a day and your email has done just that. I'm absolutely delighted. And thank you VERY much for writing to say that you enjoyed T2T. Brilliant. And you know, I nearly didn't write it.



Birgit will see this as soon as she gets home and I'm sure she's going to be equally delighted. The story wouldn't have happened without her and the book would probably never have gone to print without her.



A thought. I'd be honoured if you'd allow me to quote you in Readers Feedback on T2T on the website and any other places that your words light help. May I?



I'd put this:

My God! Tortillas to Totems! Is bloody fantastic. You really have surpassed yourself with your latest addition. I have not been able to put the damned book down and have loved every single word in it. Everything about T2T is just right in every way. I love the way you bring the whole experience to life, I almost felt as if I was there with you both.

My heartfelt thanks’ to you for sharing everything so openly with everyone who takes the time to read T2T. In the past I have taken my time reading your work, but this book just had me hooked and I just had to finish it the minute I had started reading.

Well done to you and I look forward to your next instalment.’

Ray - UK



I hope you are up for it as I'm sure it'd encourage others to open their wallets : ) Your words read as being completely genuine and I know that people sense that when they read such things as feedback. BUT, if you aren't happy, please do just say. That's absolutely ok!!!!

Thanks again for emailing. I'm really chuffed you enjoyed!!!!!!!!!

All the best to you. See you at the NEC.



Cheers,

Sam

PS Thanks also for the mention on your blog!





Book News! Sam's books are all now available in e-book format.

Check out Kindles on Amazon.com and .co.uk


For useless information about Sam,

and some very helpful information on his Adventure Motorcycle Travel Books.

Excerpts, Readers' Feedback, Reviews, Photos and much more on all of his books

'Into Africa', 'Under Asian Skies', 'Distant Suns' and now...

The latest book - 'Tortillas to Totems'



Please do link up with Sam on Facebook - lots going on on his pages.





I am no book critic and as you will have noticed I have made no pretentious claims about any of Sam's books that’s because in my humble opinion "You need to read them yourselves".

I have learned so much over the last year from Sam's books and I am really at a loss as to what to do. Sadly at the moment Sam is no longer on his travels but I wish him all the very, very best for the future.



Now Lois, you really do have a tough book to follow.......................

No comments:

Post a Comment